Home News Local & Flintshire News

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service warns of barbecue safety after Connah’s Quay blaze

THE fire service is urging people to be safe at barbecues, after firefighters were called to an incident in Connah’s Quay caused by barbecue charcoal.

Two window frames were damaged at the property on St David’s Drive after the charcoal, which was disposed of while still hot, set alight a plastic container at the side of the house.

Crews from Deeside were called to the incident at 1.08am today (Monday, May 25).

Two hose reel jets and two sets of breathing apparatus were used to extinguish the fire at the semi-detached house.

A North Wales Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: “We are advising people to a take a few basic precautions to ensure they have a safe and enjoyable barbecue - and one of these is to ensure that barbecues are cold before disposing of burnt charcoals and the manufacturers instructions should be read carefully and strictly followed before lighting.”

The smoke alarms at the property failed to alert the four occupants to the blaze as they were not working.

To register for a free home fire safety check, where an officer will give advice on fire safety, help formulate a fire escape plan, and if necessary, fit new smoke alarms, all free of charge, call 0800 169 1234, visit www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk or e-mail [email protected].

Latest Flintshire News

Teenager pleads guilty to causing fatal Sychdyn crash and drink driving

A TEENAGER has pleaded guilty to causing the death of a young woman by his careless driving on New Year’s Day while under the influence of alcohol. Read

North Wales AM donates pay rise to charity

AN AM is donating his pay rise to charity, dividing it between adult and children's hospices operating in North Wales. Read

Local Businesses



The smart way to find local businesses Read