Jan 5 2010 by Mark Currie, Daily Post
WREXHAM manager Dean Saunders has been rebuffed for the second time in his bid to sign a new striker.
Now the Dragons boss is set to switch his attentions to alternative targets in the search for someone who can help end the goal-scoring drought that has blighted the first half of Wrexham’s Blue Square Premier League campaign.
News of the latest failed bid to land his prime target was given to Saunders yesterday lunchtime, prompting the manager to weigh up all of his options.
“After the original bid was turned down we went back with a second offer,” said the Racecourse boss. “The revised bid was structured so that targets successfully achieved would result in an additional payment.
“That too has been rejected, so it’s a case of deciding whether to up our valuation of the player concerned or draw a line under this one and move on. His contract is up in the summer so there is only so much we can offer the club before it becomes uneconomical.”
Ruling out the prospect
of a cash plus player offer from Wrexham to land their man, Saunders added: “That’s not an option and we have got other irons in the fire. You can only negotiate for so long before moving on to other players.
“In addition to being able to afford players, it’s a case too of not hanging about too long so we’ll probably move on and hope to get someone else in before they are snapped up by someone else.”
The transfer impasse and last night’s decision to postpone today’s scheduled league match at AFC Wimbledon piled on the frustration and disappointment for the Wrexham boss, who had already seen the previous four games also lost to the freezing weather.
“I’m becoming quite depressed about not having a game,” he said. “Now I’m trying to keep up my own spirits, never mind those of the players.
“It’s turning into a disaster because we haven’t played a league game since December 5 and I’ve never known anything like it. With other matches being called off as well I’ve not been able to watch as many players as I would have liked.”
Confirming his antipathy to suggestions of an annual winter break, Saunders added: “We just have to get on with it. We are looking into the idea of getting some covers for our pitch, but three of these postponed games are away from home, so we wouldn’t have been able to do anything about them.
“We knew the forecast for London this evening was for minus four or minus five degrees so there was always a bit of a doubt in our minds, but it’s another game we now have to fit in.”
The fact we are no longer in either the FA Cup or the FA Trophy means we might have room somewhere to fit in all the rearranged matches.”
On a brighter note, Saunders said the enforced break meant any new signings this month would have more games in which to make a contribution while his injured players – Frank Sinclair, Sam Williamson and Marc Williams – were effectively gaining free recovery time.
The Dragons boss conceded that a proposed friendly at Witton Albion tomorrow evening was unlikely to go ahead while Wrexham’s Welsh Youth Cup clash with Prestatyn has been put back a week to Wednesday, January 13 at the Racecourse (7pm ko), weather permitting.
The Buckley & District Reds annual general meeting is being held at the town’s Hope and Anchor pub on Sunday, January 10 (8pm).