Home Sport Local Football

Football: Derwen make a flying start in Challenge Cup success

DERWEN Deg progressed to the third round of the Queensferry Sports Challenge Cup with a 4-2 win at Burntwood.

They made an explosive start with their first goal from Stuart Tarran coming after only 21 seconds, which is surely one of the quickest strikes in the history of the Deeside Sunday League.

The second was a shot from his own half from Lee Cousins that bounced over the advancing keeper before Gary Roberts pulled one back for the hosts to make it 2-1 at the break.

The Deg went further ahead through Paul Hinds in the second half, with Chris Lewis again reducing the deficit for the hosts. The last goal came from James Beck to secure the win and into the next round.

The Division One Cup saw success for Castle Inn who won 2-1 at Melrose. Jake Wynne gave the host the lead with a Damien Samson spot kick on the stroke of half-time levelling. The winner came from Paul Higgins on 70 minutes.

Mold Ex-Servicemen's Club also won away, 7-1 at Ewloe SC. They were three up before Lee Sylvester netted for the Social Club but still led 4-1 at the interval. The men on target were Dean Gittens, Chris Guy, Craig Rush, Wes Brereton and a hat trick from Christian Davies.

The tie between Red Lion and Connah’s Quay Labour Club in the Division Two Cup was switched to the Labour Club and it was the Labour Club who triumphed 4-2.

John Griffiths gave Red Lion a lead only for an Ian Roberts header to draw the score to 1-1 at the interval. Johnny Crossley then put the Labour in front, this time David Williams getting Red Lion back on level terms. The game was won when Johnny Crossley then Jonathon Tasker netted late strikes to send Labour Club into the next round.

There was plenty of goals in the Division Three Cup. Mill Tavern overcame the challenge of Mountain Park 6-4 after extra time, where Joe Ouslem gave them a lead on six minutes before Mark Williams levelled four minutes later.

Luke Reece put Mill ahead again on 12 minutes with Phil Lloyd resuming parity after 40 minutes. Reece then sent the hosts in 3-2 ahead at the break with a strike on the stroke of half-time.

Ryan Jones got Mountain Park level again after 57 minutes and Jay Hughes thought he had won it for the hosts when he netted with three minutes left. But Luke Tyson’s last strike in time added on took the game to extra time where Darren Johnson and Reece again scored in the second period.

George & Dragon travelled to the Swan Gwernymynydd and won 4-3. There was never more than one goal in it and marksmen for the Swan were Neil Wynne, Ben Morgan and Garth Hayes. On target for the visitors were Jay Edwards (2), Ritchie Hughes and Mark Probert.

One game in Division Three saw White Bear overwhelm Royal Oak 9-1. They were three up before Adrian Davies reduced the arrears to 3-1 at the break. The hosts secured three points thanks to efforts from Alan Dawson (4), Ryan Dunn (4) and Paul Morgan.