Home News Featured Stories

Conman who stole £600,000 banned from entering Flint

Liam Curtis

A GAMBLING addict jailed for four years for stealing more than £600,000 from his employers has been banned from ever entering his hometown again.

Liam Curtis, sent down on October 24 after admitting swindling his bosses, was back in court yesterday (Thursday) to answer a charge of harassing his ex-wife and criminal damage at her home.

The 38-year-old was alleged to have smeared blood over the windows of Farrah Curtis’s home in Evans Street, Flint, and vandalised property including a lock, a gate and a shed.

The defendant, formerly of Trelawney Avenue, was given a three-month custodial sentence at Flintshire Magistrates Court, which will run alongside his current prison term.

District Judge Andrew Shaw imposed a restraining order preventing him from entering Flint again.

The court heard the couple separated in October last year and are now divorced.

They would text each other amicably over child access arrangements, but Mrs Curtis said she began to receive abusive messages and one said he would break into the house and set fire to it.

When she returned home one night she found blood smeared on her property and discovered the damage. Arrested and interviewed, Curtis said he had drunk 15 pints of cider and some shots.

Brian Cross, defending, said the defendant’s wife was arranging a prison visit to see him.

He claimed the incident had arisen because Curtis had been trying to arrange child contact and felt obstacles were being put in his way.

The defendant said he had cut himself and had not intentionally left blood as the scene.

The judge said Curtis had committed the offences within six months of being placed on a community order for similar offences against the same victim.

Last month Chester Crown Court heard the former finance director had stolen from his trusting employers at Jane Lewis in St Werburgh Street, Chester, despite the husband and wife owners treating him ‘as one of the family’.

Share