Home News Local & Flintshire News

Man banned from all pubs in Flintshire

A 23-YEAR-OLD has been banned from all public houses in Flintshire.

When refused another drink Alan Mark Harvey threw a glass at the Albion Social Club in Pen-y-Llan, Connah’s Quay, which bounced and struck a barman.

The court heard Harvey, of Leighton Court, Connah’s Quay, – who put himself as ‘nine or 10’ on a one-to-10 scale of drunkenness – admitted using or threatening unlawful violence on the night of May 19.

He was banned from all public houses in Flintshire under a licensing exclusion order and placed on a community order and placed on supervision for two years.

He must observe a two month curfew under which he must remain indoors between 7pm and 7am.

Prosecutor John Wylde said the barman had refused to make a statement of complaint and Harvey was therefore prosecuted on his own admissions to the police.

He had started drinking at 10.30am that day and drank 16 bottles of lager and then eight pints of lager.

He then went to the Albion where he had a couple of ‘JD triples’.

Harvey was outside having a cigarette when last orders were called and when he came back in, he wanted more alcohol, but was told the bar was now closed.

It was then he threw his glass which bounced off the bar and struck the barman to the cheek. Fortunately, it did not cause him any injury.

“He also broke a pool cue and caused damage to a chair as he was leaving,” Mr Wylde said.

When police went to his home, he refused to come out but went to a bedroom and held a kitchen knife to his throat.

He was told to put it down but pressed it harder into his throat.

Police released a police dog and used a taser on the defendant which caused him to drop the knife, and he was arrested.

He needed hospital treatment because he had taken a number of tablets and the staff believed he might have taken some methadone.

Mr Wylde suggested that in view of his previous convictions, and the fact he should not have been in the club at all because of a previous ban from licensed premises, sentencing should take place in the crown court.

But the magistrates disagreed and sentenced him in their court.

Phillip Marshall-Thomas, defending, said Harvey had not aimed it at the barman and had not intended to strike him.

Harvey had not attempted to hit the barman with the cue but had smashed it by the bar, again in temper.

Local Businesses



The smart way to find local businesses Read