Home News Local & Flintshire News

Flintshire gets ready to celebrate wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton

THE wedding of the year is just weeks away – and people across Flintshire are getting ready to make the big day one to remember.

Prince William and Kate Middleton will tie the knot at Westminster Abbey on April 29 and a series of events are already being organised throughout the county to mark the occasion.

Residents are being encouraged to show community spirit and celebrate in style with their neighbours.

A Picnic in the Park event is planned in Higher Shotton. Community leaders and members of Higher Shotton Tenants and Residents Association and Aston Park Rangers are working together to host the event, which will take place on the playing field in North Street at 2pm.

There will be food, music, stalls and games to entertain youngsters.

Carol Horley, of Green Lane, has lived in Shotton for 40 years and has helped organise other events for special royal occasions.

“We had street parties for the Queen’s Silver Jubilee and the wedding of Charles and Diana,” she said.

“This will be a fun day for all the family and a chance for the community to get together. Everyone is welcome.”

In Sealand the Riverside Park and Stoneleigh Close Tenants and Residents Association is organising a street party-style gathering at the play area in Riverside Park.

Secretary Ella Ellis is hoping about 50 children and their families will join in with the event.

She said: “I’m really looking forward to it. It’s a great chance to celebrate and get to know your neighbours.”

And Flint Town Council has a funding pot of £1,000 to distribute to groups and organisations planning to hold street parties or other celebrations in honour of the royal wedding.

Anyone wanting to apply for funding for an event should write to the town council detailing where and when it will be held.

Flint councillor Ian Roberts said: “These events bring communities together. I think it’s important for community spirit that this type of thing still goes on.”

Applications should be sent in to the town hall by March 31.

Anyone planning to hold a street party in their street needs to contact Flintshire County Council and submit a road closure application by Monday, April 11.