Home News Local & Flintshire News

Ewloe residents in lucky escape from Chinese lantern fire

A EWLOE resident had a lucky escape after a drifting Chinese lantern melted its way through her conservatory as she slept.

A crew from Deeside was called to the property on Hilltop Close, Ewloe, at 9.18am on Saturday. The fire was already out on arrival, but the owner had awoken to find her conservatory smoke-logged.

On inspection it was found a Chinese lantern had landed on the conservatory roof and burned through the plastic structure, leaving debris on the floor.

Paul Whybro, community safety manager for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: “These lanterns are popular, but present a significant hazard and therefore we are appealing to the public to be careful when handling them.

“This lady was lucky as the incident could have been much more serious. The lantern burned through her conservatory whilst she was asleep at night and had been smouldering for some hours – it was pure luck that the hot wax fell onto the floor and did not set any furniture alight. Her home could easily have gone up in flames.

“Please follow our advice. Make sure that no one is standing underneath when a lantern is set up as there is a possibility that oil or wax can tip over and cause injury. Take account of the prevailing wind and ensure the lantern will burn out before it can land on nearby property or farmland – they can also be a danger to crops and livestock. Ask yourself whether the risk is really worth it before you set one alight.”

Free home fire safety checks can be booked with North Wales Fire and Rescue Service by calling freephone 0800 169 1234 or log on to www.freesmokealarm.co.uk.”