Campbell bags double for Seasiders

DJ Campbell condemned Sunderland to their first home Barclays Premier League defeat of the season as Blackpool returned to action in style with a 2-0 victory.

The striker, signed by Steve Bruce during his time at Birmingham, thumped home a 52nd-minute volley and then added a second at the death to give the Seasiders all three points in their first outing since December 11.

But the Black Cats had only themselves to blame after passing up a series of opportunities, although Blackpool goalkeeper Richard Kingson made good saves from Jordan Henderson, substitute Steed Malbranque and Darren Bent, who was also denied by the crossbar, either side of half-time.

Sunderland dominated the early stages of the game and created at least six good opportunities during the opening 45 minutes. However, Darren Bent and Asamoah Gyan, as well as Danny Welbeck, who had gone into the game with five goals in his last six appearances, had left their shooting boots at home.

Bent shot across the face of goal twice, with Gyan also going close, while Blackpool hit back with two chances for Campbell.

Substitute Matt Phillips left Welbeck and Phil Bardsley for dead down the left on the half-hour and crossed for Campbell, who made space for himself, but could not hit the target.

But he went much closer seven minutes before the break when he worked himself into a good position and fired a low 20-yard drive inches wide with keeper Craig Gordon scrambling anxiously across his line.

Blackpool then took the lead with 52 minutes gone after Neil Eardley was given time and space to collect David Vaughan's short pass and clip in a left-foot cross which Ian Evatt flicked on for Campbell to volley home from close range.

Sunderland mounted an onslaught as the clock ran down and Kingson had to pull off a series of saves, denying substitute Steed Malbranque 10 minutes from time and then getting Evatt out of jail after his slip allowed Bent in four minutes later.

But Campbell completed a miserable afternoon for the home side when he added a second from the impressive Phillips' inch-perfect cross with just seconds to play.