Dorrans nets late Baggies winner

West Brom finally ended their 30-year hoodoo at Stoke as well as bringing the curtain down on their recent miserable run in the Barclays Premier League as they recorded a 2-1 victory.

After losing 13 games and drawing five of their previous 18 visits to this part of the Potteries, it required two mistakes from Stoke goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen to gift Albion the points.

Sorensen first allowed past him a low 30-yard screamer from James Morrison, and after substitute Cameron Jerome seemingly salvaged a point in the 86th minute, Graham Dorrans then beat the Dane in injury time with a 25-yard free-kick.

It was not until midway through the first half that Stoke finally created their first effort, albeit somewhat fortuitously as a long punt upfield was missed by both Nicky Shorey and Gabriel Tamas. That allowed Jonathan Walters a clear run on goal, but as he fired off an early shot, Tamas did superbly to backtrack and produce a vital block.

Morrison tested Sorensen for the first time after being allowed a 20-yard run on goal before letting fly with a rasping shot from 25 yards. However, leaping to his left, Sorensen brilliantly tipped the ball onto his crossbar.

Moments later, Stoke stood off Morrison again before he struck a 30-yarder directly at Sorensen. The City goalkeeper should have collected, only to be beaten by a slight last-second swerve on the ball, clawing at it desperately as it ran behind him and crossed the line.

Inside the first six minutes of the second half Albion should have put the game to bed, but first Marc-Antoine Fortune was denied by a block from Robert Huth after a pull back from Dorrans. Within a minute Sorensen was beaten again by Morrison, only for the Scot to despair as his stunning hooked half-volley from 20 yards struck the right-hand post.

Stoke got a reprieve in the 71st minute when referee Anthony Taylor harshly appeared to have awarded a penalty when Walters ran into Gareth McAuley. But from the spot the Stoke striker went for power, with his shot striking the left knee of a diving Ben Foster.

With the game reaching its conclusion, 73rd-minute sub Jerome then glanced Pennant's right-wing free-kick beyond Foster, seemingly keeping the hoodoo alive.

But in the first minute of injury time Sorensen was guilty of allowing Dorrans' long-range free-kick to flash past him into his bottom left-hand corner to further add to his afternoon of woe.