Home News UK & World News

Man arrested after girl-death crash

A man has been arrested after a five-vehicle motorway crash which killed a four-year-old girl, police said.

The collision happened at around 12.30am on the M6 southbound, between junctions 4a and 4 on the outskirts of Birmingham.

A spokesman for the Central Motorway Police Group said the man was arrested at the scene and is in police custody helping officers with their enquiries. A spokeswoman for West Midlands Police said the man, a 63-year-old from Sunderland, was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

Seven ambulances, four fire engines, police and the Highways Agency attended the incident. The stretch of road between the two junctions was closed for around six and a half hours.

A spokesman for West Midlands Ambulance Service said: "A child travelling in one car had suffered multiple serious injuries and was receiving CPR from members of the fire service. Ambulance crews and the BASICS Doctor took over resuscitation attempts of the girl and carried out advanced life support at the scene.

"Emergency treatment continued in the ambulance on route to hospital where a trauma team were on standby. Unfortunately, despite the best efforts of everyone at the scene, ambulance and hospital staff, nothing could be done to save the girl and she was confirmed dead shortly after arriving at hospital."

The spokesman added: "A second girl travelling in the same car, believed to be around eight years old, suffered multiple injuries and received emergency treatment at the scene.

"A woman also travelling in the car suffered head injuries. Both patients were transferred by ambulances on blue lights and sirens to University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire, who had been alerted to their arrival.

"A third child travelling in the same car, a girl believed to be around four years old, suffered minor injuries and was also treated at the scene. She was also transferred by ambulance to the same hospital.

"A man travelling in the car was checked over at the scene but was not injured. He travelled into the hospital with the seriously injured woman."