Home News UK & World News

Detectives probe campsite tragedy

Detectives are investigating what caused a campsite tragedy which left a teenage girl dead and her family in hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

The family of four - who have not been named - were discovered unconscious in their tent at a Shropshire campsite shortly before 10am on Saturday.

The girl, believed to be 14 years old, was pronounced dead at the scene, despite efforts by a doctor staying on the site and paramedics to revive her after she suffered a cardiac arrest. Her 11-year-old brother and their parents were taken to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, where they were on Sunday night said to be in a stable condition.

West Mercia Police said the death was being treated as unexplained but not suspicious. A spokeswoman said officers from the force were working alongside Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service to investigate the circumstances of the incident.

The owners of the site, in the village of Bucknell, said a disposable barbecue was found in the porch of the family's tent.

Phil and Debra Wright, who own the Baron at Bucknell pub and its adjacent campsite, said the family was part of a larger group made up of the mother's two sisters and their respective partners and children, staying in a number of tents on the site.

In a brief statement released through the hospital, the extended family said the incident had "devastated" them and requested privacy to deal with the tragedy. Mr Wright said the group had arrived at the site on Saturday but relatives had become concerned when nobody in the family's tent awoke on Sunday morning.

He said: "They had gone into the tent and found them all unconscious. One of the sisters came and said, 'We need an ambulance urgently'. There was a disposable barbecue which they had used the night before in the porch of the tent.

"The emergency services were on the scene within five minutes. They worked on the girl for some time but they couldn't save her. It has been devastating. It is really tragic. Nobody has done anything wrong, they have just not realised the dangers of disposable barbecues."

In brief statement released by the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital on their behalf, the extended family said: "Our priority as a family is to ensure that the three people in hospital get well and are fully recovered. We are devastated by this tragic accident and will release a full statement at a later date."