Hinckley United 0 Chester FC 6: Ruthless Blues romp to biggest win of season

Chester FC boss Neil Young

TABLE-TOPPING Chester swept aside rock-bottom Hinckley in ruthless fashion to record their biggest win of the season.

Nathan Jarman, Craig Curran, Antoni Sarcevic (2), Tony Gray and Scott Brown shared the strikes as Neil Young’s men maintained their relentless Blue Square Bet North form.

The Blues have now won 16 and drawn two of their last 18 matches, an incredible run of results that means they continue to boast a 13-point lead over second-placed Guiseley.

Winless Hinckley put up a fight when the sides met at the Exacta Stadium three weeks ago, holding out for 36 minutes before Sarcevic set Chester on their way to a 3-0 victory.

But the Leicestershire outfit’s resistance at their Greene King Stadium home lasted just 70 seconds.

George Horan and Paul Linwood made their way up field for a long Matty McGinn throw and, after the former missed his kick, the ball broke to the latter.

Linwood took a touch before chipping a cross to the back post for Jarman to nod in his second goal in as many games and his 12th of the campaign.

The Blues had to wait 38 minutes for Curran to double the advantage, although Young and his management team were furious that Marc Williams had a well-taken effort ruled out for offside.

Young’s mood would have darkened had John Danby not got down well low to his right to keep out a Declan Towers header two minutes later.

His fine save brought the visitors a sixth clean sheet in their last seven outings as Hinckley did not threaten again.

Curran – in for the injured Danny Williams and the only change to the team that beat Oxford City on Wednesday – netted the seventh goal of his highly successful loan spell from Rochdale five minutes before the break.

Marc Williams dispossessed Jack Lane and crossed for Curran to score at the second attempt.

Sarcevic got in on the act in first-half injury-time as he raced on to a clearance out of defence and placed a shot under advancing Hinckley goalkeeper Martin Conway.

It was Chester’s 70th league goal of the season.

Number 71 followed 11 minutes into the second half and again it was top scorer Sarcevic who provided it.

Conway could only parry a rasping McGinn cross and the on-fire midfielder rifled in the rebound to take his tally for the term up to 14.

Hinckley boss and former Chester City striker Carl Heggs responded by bringing on substitute keeper Robert Peet – for centre-back Charlie Raglan.

The change meant Conway was moved out to the right wing, the position in which he played in the reverse clash.

Peet’s first job was to deny Sarcevic a hat-trick.

But he was beaten by Gray in the 71st minute, the striker latching on to a Sarcevic pass and showing good skill to slot in from an acute angle.

It was left up to fellow sub Brown to complete the scoring late on.

A quick McGinn throw found the midfielder in space in the box and he turned before curling in his first goal for the club, with the help of the far post.

Hinckley: Conway, Hicks, Raglan (Peet 66), Towers, Lister (Abbasi 61), Brown, Lane (O’Connor 41), Headley, Cole, Canavan, Wint.

Booked: Lister, Headley.

Chester: Danby, Baynes, Horan, Linwood, McGinn, Hankin, Sarcevic (Brown 73), Turner, Curran, M Williams (Mills 78), Jarman (Gray 60). Subs: Collins, Howard.

Goals: Jarman 2, Curran 40, Sarcevic 45, 56, Gray 72, Brown 89.

Referee: Wayne Porter (Bourne).

Attendance: 648.