Home Sport Local Football

Clwyd League/Deeside Sunday League: Substitute Tom Robinson wins derby for Shotton Steel at Aston Park Rangers

Super sub settles derby

A LAST-MINUTE goal from substitute Tom Robinson earned Shotton Steel a 2-1 Clwyd League Premier Division derby triumph at Aston Park Rangers on Saturday.

In a typical end-of-season affair both sides found it hard to play creative football on a hard and bumpy surface and in a slight wind.

The Steelmen, who were without a host of key players, took the lead in the 15th minute when new signing Dave Powell kept his composure to put a finishing touch to Dane Mason’s pass.

And that was the way it stayed until the 80th minute when Anthony Weaver produced a moment of quality to restore parity for second-from-bottom Aston.

There was still time for fourth-placed Shotton to win it, though, as winger Tom Stacey crossed for Dylan Evans, whose overhead kick could only be parried by Chris Pearce into the path of Robinson, who duly forced the ball home.

Brynford United lost 2-1 at Rhuddlan Town after Mike Prydderch had drawn them level while Greenfield fell 4-1 at Mochdre Sports despite leading through Terry Jones.

Second-placed Connah’s Quay Town will play Shotton in the last eight of the President’s Cup after they won their second-round tie at home to plucky Division One outfit Llannefydd 8-4.

James Gambino (3), Ashley Lewis (2), Ben Howarth (2) and Brynley Preece settled matters.

Sychdyn took a 79th-minute lead through Paul Duncan in their Premier Cup second-round clash at Penmaenmawr Phoenix, but conceded a last-minute equaliser before ultimately going down 5-1 after extra-time.

Wepre Rangers continued their fine start to the month with a 6-0 success at Betws-yn-Rhos in Division One.

John Campbell (2), John Taylor, Scott Greenhalgh, Paul Hines and Robbie Ashbrook shared the strikes.

Point of Ayr romped to a 10-1 victory at whipping boys Bro Cernyw.

Caerwys produced a brave performance in losing 5-3 at home to Premier Division pacesetters Abergele Rovers in the quarter-finals of the President’s Cup.

Mike Henley and Gareth Henley (2) offered the replies.

A 13th-straight win for FC Nomads ensured they finally took over at the top of Division Two.

Their latest victims were Flint Mountain as Ray Wyhard, Brian Hughes and Mike Hopkinson fired the hosts to a 3-0 home verdict.

Dave Lloyd, Lee Messham, Richard Walker, Luke Tyson and Danny Griffiths were on target as Flint Town United 3rds won 5-2 at home to Aston Park Rangers Reserves, whose responses came courtesy of James Butler and Lee Simpson.

Jason Wright scored Shotton Steel Reserves’ consolation as they were surprisingly beaten 2-1 at home by Rhyl Athletic.

No stopping Castle men

DEESIDE Sunday League Division One leaders Castle Inn maintained their 100% winning start to the season with a 2-1 home success over Abbots Arms.

Brynley Preece’s second-half double brought Castle their eighth triumph on the trot, although they had to endure a nervy finish after Gareth Thomas netted late on.

Adam Pugh (3 inc pen), Richard Lawrence and Ryan Ankers strikes ensured Red Lion Strollers edged an eight-goal thriller 5-3 at Ewloe Social Club, who took a lead into half-time through Liam Doran (2) and Mike Adamson.

Boar’s Head, Ewloe moved up to second in Division Two with a 4-2 win at Red Lion Holywell.

Tommy Jones (2), John Taylor and Mark Atkinson struck for Boar’s with Paul Cohen and Paul Jones replying for Lion.

Blue Bell won 4-2 at home to Derwen Deg to book their place in the Division Two Cup semi-finals.

Danny Sullivan (2), Chris Forshaw and James Antrobus scored for double-chasing Bell with Carl Wright and Nick Pratt taking Deg close.

A strong second-half showing saw Offas Dyke progress to the last four of the Division Three Cup with a 3-0 victory at home to White Bear.

Dane Mason, Lee Mackenzie and Phil Lloyd were the Offas men on target after the break.

Mill Tavern extended their advantage at the top of Division Three to four points with a 5-0 cruise at Bridge Inn, Pontblyddyn.

Mark Poynton and Darren Johnson bagged braces before Luke Reece completed the scoring.

Division Two duo Flint RBL and Potters Wheel overcame Division Three opposition to put their names into the hat for the Derek Fleming Memorial Trophy semi-finals.

Flint won their last-eight tie at home to Swan Inn 3-1 courtesy of Gwyn-Bartley Jones, Darren Williams – with a 30-yard free-kick – and Marc Gunther after Glyn Jelley put Swan in front.

Potters, thanks to Paul Worrell and Rob Roberts (2), matched that scoreline at home to Mountain Park, who led through Lee Jones.