Home Sport Local Football

Football: Gap Connah’s Quay enjoy fifth win of the campaign

GAP Connah’s Quay recorded their fifth win of the season in a tough battle away at windswept Rhos Aelwyd.

Second-half strikes from Gary O’Toole and Iwan Williams settled the 2-1 scoreline in favour of the visitors.

Manager Mark McGregor was pleased with his side’s performance in tricky conditions at Ponciau Banks.

He said: “We knew this was going to be a difficult place to go to and it was a hard-fought game, with really strong winds.

“I am really happy at the scoring rate of our team and it is bringing in confidence.

“It is going to be a tough, close league this season and it is important we have got off to a good start.”

Neither the reigning champions nor Rhos were able to break the deadlock in the first half, but four minutes after the break, the prolific Gary O’Toole gave Quay the lead with his seventh goal of the season.

Aelwyd equalised with an Aaron Edwards penalty four minutes later, only for a Iwan Williams goal to give the Deesiders the points with 11 minutes remaining.

BUCKLEY TOWN’S decent start to the season saw them push Rhyl all the way to the final minute in their re-arranged match at Globe Way on Tuesday night.

Former Welsh Premier giants Rhyl opened the scoring through Mike Pritchard on 26 minutes.

But 10 minutes later Derek Taylor levelled the scores for Gareth Thomas’ side.

Five minutes before the break Rhyl got their noses in front again, Russell Courtney finding the net.

The Bucks trailed until the 68th minute when Neil Wynn fired home to equalise once more.

The game looked to be heading for a draw when, in the 90th minute, Tom Rowlands pounced to steal all three points for Rhyl.

The Bucks scored twice in either half as they defeated Llangefni Town 4-0 on Saturday.

Goals from impressive new signing Tim Bignall – who arrived last week from West Cheshire League side Ashville – on his debut for the club and last season’s leading scorer Wes Brereton from the spot set up the victory.

Mike Burke then struck twice in the second half to sew up the points.