Home Sport Local Football

Welsh Cup: Gap Connah’s Quay Nomads, Flint Town United and Buckley Town all progress to next round

FOUR goals in 17 minutes from in-form striker Gary O’Toole helped secure Gap Connah’s Quay Nomads a place in the second round of the Welsh Cup.

The reigning Cymru Alliance holders thrashed Welsh Alliance side Gwalchmai 7-2 on a baking hot day at the Deeside Stadium.

But the Nomads had to survive an early scare when the visitors took the lead in the 15th minute through Corey Sinnott.

Nomads player-manager Mark McGregor said: “It was a bit concerning at that time as you don’t know which way the game might go.

“But I was confident we had goals in our team and it would not be a problem.”

O’Toole fired a hat-trick between the 19th and 29th minutes of the game before being felled in the box by Gwalchmai keeper Kenny Hughes, who has shown the red card.

Replacement keeper Gerallt Jones was unable to prevent O’Toole firing in his fourth on 36 minutes.

Shaun Roscoe fired a 20-yard strike to score Nomads’ fifth before half time and O’Toole was then taken off.

“Gary takes all his chances very well and by half time it was probably game over,” McGregor added.

Gareth Allman tried to keep the game alive for the visitors by scoring on 66 minutes, but Iwan Williams and Rhys Healey put the game beyond any doubt by adding to Nomads’ tally in the 72nd and 79th minutes respectively.

The Nomads face a trip to Mid-Wales League Division One’s Llanidloes Town in the second round.

But before that they are away to Conwy United this Saturday (2.30pm ko).

FLINT TOWN UTD also eased into the second round of the cup with a convincing 5-1 victory at home to Chirk AAA.

Despite missing seven first-team regulars, Flint were too good for the visitors and took the lead on 22 minutes through Simon Thelwell’s glancing header.

Matty Harvey added Flint’s second shortly after the interval before a 14-yard low drive from Paul Williams in the 78th minute notched up a third.

Substitutes Jamie Hayes and veteran John Kenworthy grabbed the fourth and fifth goals in the 81st and 86th minute while Chirk snatched a consolation goal in injury time.

Flint face Rhos Aelwyd at home in round two, coincidentally the same team they’ll face at home this weekend in the Cymru Alliance (2.30pm ko).

BUCKLEY TOWN swept aside Penrhyncoch 4-0 in their first-round home match.

Tim Bigland fired in Buckley’s first after just four minutes, before completing his brace after 62 minutes from 20 yards.

Mike Burke scored in off the post on 75 minutes and midfielder Derek Taylor headed home in the dying minutes.

Buckley have been handed a home tie against Holyhead Hotspur for round two, while Saturday sees them in action at home to Cefn Druids (2.30pm).

CONNAH’S QUAY TOWN were knocked out of the cup following a tough 4-0 defeat away to Spar Mid Wales League leaders Montgomery Town.

The Welsh Alliance Division Two side had done well to make it through to the first round proper of the cup, but a hat-trick from Gaz Bromley and a strike from Elliot Jones sealed their fate.