Home Sport Local Football

Football: Flint Town United boss targets top six place

FLINT Town United are fully fit and back on track according to boss Paul Davies – but they are not underestimating Saturday’s hosts Caersws (2.30pm).

Davies’ Silkmen posted a 3-0 victory in the Huws Gray Alliance over Llangefni Town at Cae-y-Castell last Saturday.

Flint took the lead on 14 minutes, Adam Jones handling in the box and captain Stewart Carroll firing the resulting penalty kick home.

In the second half Flint doubled their lead in the first 10 minutes, Jason Renshaw lofting in a 30-yard free kick and Phill Lloyd heading home. Flint wrapped up the game on 87 minutes when a good cross from Chris Reilly was poked home by Jon Rush from close range.

“We are in the best position we’ve been in all season,” said Davies. “There are only three players out of 19 still injured so we are putting out pretty much our best team now.

“We want to push on and establish ourselves as a top six side.”

GAP CONNAH’S QUAY returned to the top of the table with a 4-0 win over Llandudno Town at Deeside Stadium.

Michael Robinson opened the scoring on nine minutes with a looping header and Gary O’Toole doubled Nomads’ advantage 14 minutes later, volleying home a cross from Jamie Petrie.

Four minutes before the break Tudno found themselves down to 10 men when Tom Dix was dismissed and in the second half Nomads took advantage, Petrie breaking the offside trap on the hour to race through and score and teenage striker Rhys Healey bundling home a fourth three minutes before time.

Nomads go to Llangefni Town on Saturday (2.30pm)

BUCKLEY TOWN fought hard for their 3-1 victory over Penycae.

Despite having plenty of possession Buckley needed keeper Phil Palethorpe to make a big save to stop Penycae taking an early lead.

Gareth Thomas’ side opened the scoring on 32 minutes, Andy Moran free at the back post to tap home.

Buckley’s second followed two minutes later John Leonard played in Moran who saw his shot deflected in by Penycae captain Paul Connelly.

In the second half started Matt Hughes added Buckley’s third on 76 minutes when Lee Atherton flicked on a Moran corner to Hughes, who controlled and fired home.

Ben Smith made his return after a lengthy injury late on and Penycae pulled a goal back but they were too late to salvage the match.

The Bucks go to Llandudno Town tomorrow.