Home Sport Local Football

Football: Welsh National League officials to rule on promotion battle

PROMOTION to the Welsh National League’s top flight will be decided by league officials rather than on the pitch.

Saltney Town have completed their fixtures and are top of Division One, but the Bordermen must wait to see if they are declared champions.

Their 10-3 demolition of Mold Juniors thanks to a hat-trick from Liam Ashbrook, braces from Dane Mason, Jake Gibbons and Andy Johnson and a strike from Marc Edwards was worthy of promotion alone, but the league must rule on whether an abandoned fixture between second-placed Borras Park Albion and third-placed ARGOED UNITED should be replayed.

That game was abandoned earlier in the campaign with Argoed 2-0 up over an incident between the match referee and Albion’s keeper.

If Albion are adjudged to have caused the game’s abandonment, it is likely they will be deducted three points and Saltney will be confirmed champions.

Should Argoed win a replay, or if the original 2-0 scoreline stands, they will go up to the Premier Division at the expense of Saltney, who have scored 130 goals in 24 games.

The Welsh FA has also been asked to look at the situation.

Meanwhile in the Premier Division, MOLD ALEX (Scott Williams, Luke Reece) remain top despite losing 3-2 at FC Cefn. RHYDYMWYN in second have games in hand.

HAWARDEN RANGERS got back on track with a 4-0 win at Johnstown Youth and PENYFFORDD (Marcus Davies 2, Tom Ainsworth) beat Brymbo 3-2.

In the Welsh Alliance HOLYWELL TOWN have slipped to second this week.

Having taken top spot last Wednesday, Division One title rivals Holyhead Hotspur claimed a 1-0 win on Tuesday night at Glan Conwy to build a four point gap, although the Wellmen, who did not play last weekend, have a game in hand.

BUCKLEY TOWN’S final league position in the Huws Gray Alliance was third after Rhyl beat Rhos Aelwyd 3-0.

The Lilywhites pipped Gareth Thomas’ Bucks to second spot by a single point.

FLINT TOWN UNITED ended in ninth after losing 3-1 on the final day at home to Penrhyncoch. John Hill scored for Flint.

The Silkmen also bid farewell to Graham George, who has retired from running the club after 30 years.

The club committee member, who was programme editor for the length of his spell at the club, had held almost every role at Cae-y-Castell, from cook to chairman to, most recently, webmaster.

In a statement, Flint Town United offered ‘sincere thanks’ and said ‘Flint Town United owe a debt to Graham, and his wife Barbara, for their years of service to the cause’.