Home Sport Other Sports

Rugby union: Mold U14s win Aldwinians Tournament in Greater Manchester

MOLD Rugby Club’s under 14s team added some silverware to their trophy cabinet by claiming success in the Aldwinians tournament.

The Flintshire outfit made the journey to Droylsden, near Manchester, on a day when the club’s other junior sides all had games postponed due to the relentless rain.

But at Aldwinians there was surprisingly no rain, just a howling cold wind blowing straight down the pitch.

Mold were drawn in Pool One with Didsbury Toc H, Dukinfield, Sefton and Bolton.

Mold’s first pool game was against Dukinfield, a side they had met a few weeks ago at Caldy.

And they enjoyed a perfect start when Sam Williams went over under the posts after a fine break from winger Owen Jones.

Another strong run from Williams brought Mold their next try as No8 Alex Leigh collected from him and went over from close range.

Dukinfield pulled a try back just before half time making the score 12-5 to Mold.

But two more tries in the second half from Alex Leigh to complete his hat-trick made the game safe for Mold as they won 24-5, Tyler Bridges making two conversions.

Next up were Didsbury Toc H and Leigh, Jac Williams and Sam Williams gave Mold a 22-0 victory.

Mold’s third pool game was against second-placed Bolton, who were second in Pool One behind them.

Caine Le Tissier gave Mold the lead and doubled it soon after.

Mark Hanson and Michael Gordon completed the scoring in the second half as Mold won 22-0 again to book their place in the final.

In Mold’s final pool game against Sefton Owen Jones and Michael Gordon eased Mold to a 10-0 victory.

They faced Derbyshire side Glossop who topped Pool Two in the final and it was a nervy affair as Mold played with the wind to begin with.

Michael Gordon broke the deadlock after Mold were awarded a penalty five metres out and a quick tap from Jacob Collin saw him feed Gordon to carry over the whitewash for a try, Tyler Bridges scoring slotting what turned out to be a crucial conversion.

Facing the blustery conditions in the second half Mold had to defend for their lives as Glossop pinned them inside their own half for much of the period.

Glossop pulled a try back when Mold failed to clear their lines but they failed to convert.

Mold hung on to their slender 7-5 lead and ground out the win.