Home News Local & Flintshire News

Alyn and Deeside MP Mark Tami warns of dangers of carbon monoxide

FLINTSHIRE residents are being urged to fit carbon monoxide detectors in their homes.

The advice comes ahead of an upcoming episode of Coronation Street, where viewers will see Fiz fall into a coma as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Alyn and Deeside MP Mark Tami is using this storyline as an opportunity to promote the importance of getting boilers tested annually and using a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Mr Tami said: “Carbon monoxide poisoning can be deadly which is why it is excellent that awareness of the danger has been highlighted in Coronation Street.”

The Heating and Hotwater Industry Council has come up with five tips to ensure people stay safe: Make sure the heating engineer is Gas Safe Registered; get your boiler annually serviced; As well as Gas Safe Registered an installer can also belong to the HHIC national Benchmark scheme; Fit a carbon monoxide alarm inside your home and be aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning– headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.