Home News Local & Flintshire News

Hawarden death not being treated as suspicious

POLICE have confirmed they are no longer treating the death of a woman, 30, whose body was found at a house in Flintshire as suspicious.

A man, 34, who was arrested on suspicion of murder after the body of the woman was found, has been released from custody without charge.

The death, in Hawarden, was initially being treated as suspicious.

Police were called to Upper Aston Hall Lane on Wednesday night, and a house was cordoned off.

Home Office pathologist Dr Brian Rogers carried out a post mortem examination on Thursday.

The woman, named locally as Claire Louise Ashcroft, lived at the address since 2004.

A spokesman for North Wales Ambulance Service said: “We were called to the incident at 7.45pm last night [Wednesday]. An emergency ambulance and rapid response vehicle attended and transported the patient to Ysbyty Glan Clwyd.”

Neighbour Carole Edwards, of Oakfield Road, said: “I’m really shocked, I didn’t expect anything like this, she always seemed friendly enough.

“We’d always say ‘hi’ to each other and send Christmas cards. She was quite pretty, had long chestnut hair, which she always wore in a ponytail.

“I used to see her walk past the house every day but I haven’t seen her in a while.

“She had two young children, a girl and a boy, it’s a real shame for them. It’s a terrible tragedy.”

Aston Ward county councillor Helen Yale said: “I got a phone call on Wednesday about 9.30pm to say there was lots of police activity outside the house. Something like this rocks you slightly.

“My thoughts are with the friends and relatives.”

Fellow ward councillor George Hardcastle added: “You hear of these things happening but when it’s actually on your door step it shocks you.

“This area is normally quite quiet. We do have some anti-social behaviour, but there are elements of that in all parts of the county.”

A couple who live just four doors away from the scene of the incident on Upper Aston Hall Lane said: “We heard sirens and saw a police car there at 8pm, then an ambulance arrived which must have been there for a good hour.

“I didn’t know the woman who lived in the house. She kept herself to herself.”