Home Sport Airbus Broughton FC

Airbus UK Broughton: Wingmakers now 11 games without a win as Carmarthen Town punish mistakes

Airbus UK Broughton 2Carmarthen Town 4

ELEVEN games have now passed since Airbus last won as the club finds itself un a major slump.

After an impressive start to the season which saw them reach the heady heights of second place in the Welsh Premier, the club has failed to win in the league or cup since September 4, when they beat Port Talbot.

The visit of the Old Gold to The Airfield was a golden opportunity for the Wingmakers after they beat them 4-1 on the road in August.

But today’s Carmarthen are a different prospect to that early-season team and they punished Airbus’ defensive mistakes to take the points.

On 11 minutes a great through-ball from Danny Desormeaux allowed Nick Rushton to spring the offside trap and head into the area.

One-on-one with goalkeeper Mike Lewis, Wrexham loanee Rushton skipped around him and slotted the ball into the empty net to give Airbus the lead.

At the other end Callum Hawthorne had little to do in the Airbus goal and it was a shock when the visitors equalised on 28 minutes, Darren Griffiths in plenty of space in the area to fire home and level the score.

Craig Harrison’s Airbus then squandered two excellent chances, Desormeaux and Rushton hitting the woodwork.

Just before half-time the Old Gold’s Corey Thomas picked up a yellow card for a foul on Richie Dorman, presenting the Wingmakers with the chance to regain the lead.

The free-kick was floated into the area for Leon Clowes to head across the face of the goal to Andy Moran.

The prolific marksman got his head to the ball in the six-yard area and gave Lewis no chance as he put the Wingmakers back in front at 2-1, although the keeper did come off better as the two collided, Moran taking a painful hit in the mid-section.

Airbus led 2-1 at half-time but their wasted chances were to haunt them.

Poor defending around the area allowed Dale Griffiths an equaliser and on 61 minutes a free-kick was not dealt with by the Wingmakers and Gary Bansor applied the killer touch to make it 3-2.

On 84 minutes Town wrapped it up as Kieron Howard evaded the Wingmakers defence and from the angle of the 18-yard box shot past Hawthorne.

Airbus: Hawthorne, Phil Clarke, Feliciello (Woodward 75), Clowes, Allen, Williams, Dorman (Owen 62), Desormeaux, Moran, Rushton, Cook (Smith 75).

Attendance: 114.

Tomorrow night Airbus’ quest to end their winless run comes up against another poor record.

The New Saints are second in the Welsh Premier but visit the Airfield in the Welsh Cup having yet to record a win on the road this season and Harrison will want his side to keep it that way as they attempt to stop the rot in match which kicks off at 7.30pm.