Home Sport Cricket

Cricket: Connah’s Quay title party put on hold as Llanduno appeal

CONNAH’S Quay should be celebrating winning the North Wales League Premier Division title this week after defeating both the elements and bottom club Pwllheli to build a seemingly unassailable lead at the top of the table.

But the destination of the title is still undecided as defending Llandudno, whose title defence looked dead and buried, launched a double appeal to the committee of the league over two matters which could re-open the door to the top of the table.

“We are not sure what’s happening at the moment,” said Connah’s Quay skipper Sean Steynberg-Wright.

“We have just got to get on with playing St Asaph this weekend and treat it as a normal game.”

Llandudno were deducted 18 points for fielding a suspended player earlier this season – something the club denies – and they were also penalised for failing to fulfil their August bank holiday match against Pwllheli due to the fact they were in South Wales playing in the Welsh Cup final, which was originally scheduled for Sunday but delayed for 24 hours due to rain.

Llandudno’s appeal against the writing off of the Pwllheli game has been partially successful and if the club can rearrange the match before September 25, it means they have 60 points still to play for.

Should that happen, Quay will need to take 18 points from their final game on Saturday against St Asaph to guarantee the title.

It is still unclear as to whether Llandudno’s appeal against their 18-point deduction will be equally successful.

If it is, they would be capable of scoring 443 points by the close of the season.

With Quay only able to score a maximum of 438, it could mean the title stayed with the Seasiders.

“It is disappointing we are not celebrating the title after all our hard work,” said Steynberg-Wright. “But it’s just one of those things that happens.

“Both sides will have to play for the league title and at the moment it is still in our hands.”

Furious Llandudno skipper Steve Smith says the club is considering its future in the North Wales League as a result of the row.

“It’s an absolute disgrace,” he said. “We’ve been playing under a handicap system for the past couple of seasons because of people who are seemingly jealous of our success.

“Pwllheli were unwilling to rearrange our game so we asked the league to help us.

“What were we meant to do? Not play the Welsh Cup final? We were representing North Wales and it would have looked terrible if we’d come home.

“It’s an horrendous situation. If we lost our title fair and square I’d be the first to hold my hands up and say well done to the other team, but this isn’t fair.

“It seems these people make the rules up as they go along. I’ve played sport all over the world and never come across such amateurism and incompetence.

“We’re now going to sit down as a club as seriously consider where we’ll be playing our cricket in the future.”

The North Wales League refused to comment on the situation.

Share