Home Sport Local Football

Football: Flint Town United crush Rhayader Town with a little help from an ex-Chester City striker

YOUNG hotshot Ben Jones triggered an avalanche of goals at the Cae-y-Castell as FLINT TOWN UNITED hammered former Welsh Premier side Rhayader Town 5-1 in the Huws Gray Alliance.

The former Chester City striker, who impressed ater being pressed into first team action at the Deva Stadium as the club was in its death-throes, unleashed a textbook strike after nine minutes to get the Silkmen off the mark.

Simon Hulse then doubled their advantage on 22 minutes.

Rhys Thomas pulled one back for Rhayader within seconds of the restart but goals from Simon Thelwell and Danny Sullivan within 60 seconds killed off hopes of a revival and a Shaun Beck penalty added the polish.

BUCKLEY TOWN went 2-0 down at managerless Guilsfield in the first half before mounting a sensational comeback courtesy of Wes Brereton.

Despite losing boss Mike Barton to Welshpool 24-hours earlier, Guilsfield took to the field under caretaker manager Bernie Jones and assistant Chris Williams and the players delivered in the first half.

But during the break Gareth Thomas ensured the Bucks got their act together and Brereton spearheaded a revival.

His hat-trick, completed in the 90th minute, ensured the Bucks came away with maximum points.

GAP CONNAH’S QUAY continue to dominate the league table after registering their sixth consecutive victory to maintain their 100% league record.

Saturday took Mark McGregor’s men to Ruthin Town were they triumphed 4-0 despite losing the Alston brothers and top scorer Gary O’Toole with injuries during the game.

Ben Collins got the ball rolling with a volleyed effort after three minutes and Craig Jones made it two on 18 with a firm header from a Mike Hayes cross for his 10th career goal for Nomads.

Ben Alston was forced from the field with a split cheek following an elbow from a Town player and brother Andy suffered an ankle injury.

O’Toole then picked up a leg injury and Nomads were suddenly out of subs.

But Stuart Scheuber popped up with a left-footed effort on the hour as man-of-the-match Craig Jones pulled the strings in midfield.

Hayes finished the game off in the 90th minute with a low drive after cutting in from the left wing.

RHYDYMWYN’S rollercoaster season took another downward turn as they fell 3-0 at Llandudno.