Home Sport Local Football

Football: Gap Connah’s Quay prepare to face Buckley Town in top-of-the-table derby clash

THE big top-of-the-table clash between Buckley Town and Gap Connah’s Quay takes place at Globe Way on Saturday (2.30pm) with the close rivals in contrasting league form.

Nomads’ lead at the top of the Cymru Alliance is now 10 points after they comprehensively hammered Guilsfield 5-0 at the Deeside Stadium on Saturday as the Bucks suffered a surprise defeat to mid-table Penrhyncoch.

Alliance top-scorer Gary O’Toole returned from a two-game absence to face Guilsfield, who have nothing to play for this season – and it showed.

Nomads picked apart their disinterested opponents and with just nine minutes on the clock Jamie Petrie skipped beyond the Guils’ defence to lay off a neat cut-back which was swept home by Rob Jones.

Six minutes later Danny Forde doubled Nomads’ lead when he met a Hooley flick.

The Deesiders picked up the pace again 20 minutes from time. Forde was tripped just inside the penalty area by Sam Heenan and O’Toole stepped up to score his 20th league goal of the campaign.

Four minutes later it was 21. O’Toole at first hesitated while the linesman flagged offside – but he played on in the absence of a whistle and was rewarded when the referee allowed the goal.

The introduction of teenage starlet Rhys Healey and Danny Dobbins sparked some life into the final quarter hour and in the fifth minute of stoppage time captain Craig Jones completed the exhibition with a calmly placed strike into the bottom corner.

But Nomads did suffer a midweek setback when they were eliminated from the NEWFA Cup in extra time at Cefn Druids on Tuesday.

Mark Harris gave Druids the lead on 53 minutes but Aled Reece squared things up 16 minutes later and that was how it remained until Paul Speed’s 109th minute strike settled the tie in extra time.

BUCKLEY TOWN will be hoping the derby can stabilise their recent up-and-down form.

On Saturday they lost 2-0 at Penrhyncoch. The game sprung to life in the final few minutes of the first half when a Penrhyn penalty appeal for handball was overruled only for Pen’s Stuart Fraser to score minutes later from an offside position, the goal allowed to stand.

Despite forcing the home side onto the back foot the wasteful Buckley attack where to be punished on 75 minutes when a long ball upfield but the ball took a bobble on it’s way through to Bucks keeper Khalid Al Samaarie, Matthew Evans reacting quickest to seal the Bucks’ defeat.

Afterwards boss Gareth Thomas said: “We were wasteful in front of goal. We’ll just have to pick ourselves up and go again.”

FLINT TOWN UNITED were without a game at the weekend, but face a tough clash with survival strugglers Ruthin Town at Cae-y-Castell (2.30pm).