Home News Local & Flintshire News

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service issues blaze warning after death of Flint grandad Ronald Jones

NORTH Wales fire chiefs are imploring residents across the region to take heed of their safety advice after the death of a Flint grandad.

Ronald Jones, 75, known as Ronnie Halkyn, died in hospital last week, 10 days after suffering serious injuries when a blaze broke out in his bedroom.

After the fire an investigation was launched, and firefighters believe Mr Jones could have been smoking in bed while using oxygen equipment to help him breath.

Richard Fairhead, senior fire safety manager, said: “The news of yet another tragic death is both shocking and frustrating for us as a service.

“With residents spending time at home with their families, I am dreading the news of more fire fatalities.

“Fires in the home can be lethal – and we need residents to take the threat they pose seriously and work with us to reduce the likelihood of having a fire.

“We have had enough of seeing lives tragically and needlessly being wastedŠ– please do not make this Christmas one you remember for all the wrong reasons.”

The service’s advice includes:

Ensure all plugs are fitted with the correct fuses, that the plugs are wired correctly and that the wiring is not worn or damaged in any way.

Do not overload electrical sockets.

Always switch off and unplug Christmas lights and other non-essential electrical appliances when they are not being used and before going out or to bed.

Do not cook when intoxicated.

Never leave burning candles unattended or placed near the Christmas tree, furniture or curtains.

Decorations burn very easily – never attach them to lights or heaters.

Keep Christmas cards, stockings, presents, decorations and discarded wrapping paper well away from open fireplaces and heaters.

Keep real Christmas trees away from fires and other heat sources as they are highly combustible, particularly as they dry out.

Ensure all smoke alarms are working – do not take the battery out of them for use in new Christmas presents.

For a free home fire safety check, call the 24-hour hotline on 0800 169 1234, visit www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk or email [email protected].

Local Businesses



The smart way to find local businesses Read