Home Sport Airbus Broughton FC

Airbus UK Broughton: Goalkeeping howler saves 10-man Airbus

A BIZARRE fumble from Prestatyn keeper Jon Dunt gifted 10-man Airbus UK Broughton an equaliser in their Welsh Premier clash with bottom side Prestatyn, writes Danny Elliott.

But the 1-1 draw was no more than Craig Harrison’s men deserved after a tough match.

In a fiery fixture, chances were scarce for both sides with the best coming for Airbus when Phil Clarke hit the inside of the post on 16 minutes.

Ashley Williams was booked for the Wingmakers and Carl Owen, who wasn’t able to run off a knock, was replaced by Nick Rushton before half time came with the game still goalless.

Airbus were lucky not to concede early in the second half. Goalkeeper Callum Hawthorne came out to clear the ball and was left stranded as Steve Rogers took a shot which was headed clear off the line by skipper Mark Allen.

Before the game a draw would have been seen as a bad result but on the hour Airbus were reduced to 10 men.

Matty Woodward was booked for what appeared to be a good tackle but after protests from both sets of players Woodward was shown a second yellow and was dismissed.

With a one man advantage, Prestatyn started to build pressure and, despite wasting a couple of chances, took the lead. Steve Rogers finished well from a good cross, steering it just inside the left post, to put Prestatyn 1-0 up.

Hawthorn was then called upon to make a terrific one-handed save from Rogers to keep his team in the game.

With just over 10 minutes left, Airbus manager Harrison made a double substitution in an attempt to change his side’s fortunes with Andy Moran and Phil Clarke being replaced by Simon Smith and Matty Cook.

Smith was immediately involved in the action having his shirt pulled in the area, but was denied a penalty that looked clear cut.

Hawthorne again kept Town’s lead down to a solitary goal after tipping away a Steve Harris shot, keeping Airbus’ slim hopes of a draw alive.

The Wingmakers got what they deserved in injury time as a speculative cross to the far post from Nick Rushton trickled over the line after being spilled by keeper Dunt, giving the visitors a fortunate but welcome equaliser that left them just outside the top six.

Airbus next take on Neath, currently second in the Welsh Premier, at The Airfield on Sunday (2pm).

Airbus: Hawthorne, Edwards, Feliciello, Woodward, Clowes, Allen, Williams, Desormeaux, Moran (S. Smith), Owen (Rushton), Clarke (Cook)

Attendance: 279.