Home Sport Airbus Broughton FC

Football: Gap Connah’s Quay book their place in the last 16 of the Welsh Cup but Airbus UK Broughton crash out

DELIGHTED Gap Connah’s Quay player boss Mark McGregor praised his side’s character after they booked their place in the last 16 of the Welsh Cup.

Nomads came from 2-0 down to secure a thrilling 5-3 extra-time win at home to South Wales side AFC Porth on Saturday and set up a mouthwatering clash with Welsh Premier League side Carmarthen Town.

McGregor volleyed a dramatic 89th minute equaliser to level the tie at 2-2 after Ben Collins had pulled one back seven minutes earlier.

The visitors regained the lead in extra time before Gary O’Toole once again got Nomads back on equal terms in the 96th minute. Goals from Mike Hayes and Andy Alston eventually put an enthralling tie beyond doubt.

McGregor said: “I’m delighted to be in the next round. It didn’t go as we planned, but it shows the fighting spirit and character of the squad to come back and win the game.

“It was one of our main priorities to do well in the Welsh Cup, we got to this round last year. We believe we’ve got enough to go to Carmarthen and do well and get a positive outcome.”

Nomads have no injury worries for this weekend’s clash with Rhyl, although midfielder Craig Jones remains unavailable as he serves the last game of his three-match suspension.

AIRBUS UK BROUGHTON crashed out of the Welsh Cup at the first hurdle on Bonfire Night when they were beaten 3-2 at home to The New Saints, extending their winless run to 12 games.

The Wingmakers took the lead in the 20th minute when striker Carl Owen pounced in the six yard-box after the visitors had failed to deal with a low cross from Nick Rushton.

Despite being on top the hosts surrendered their lead on 37 minutes when Ashley Williams was dispossessed on the edge of his area by Alex Darlington who fired past Callum Hawthorne.

It went from bad to worse for the Wingmakers just a minute before half-time as TNS’ Deesider Craig Jones gave his side the lead.

A close-range finish from Matty Williams shortly after the break then made it 3-1 as TNS threatened to run away with it.

However, the Wingmakers rallied in the latter stages and were awarded a penalty in the 91st minute after Mark Allen was pushed in the box.

Andy Moran stepped up and sent the goalkeeper the wrong way with a low shot, but the goal proved too little too late as TNS held on for the win.

Airbus are not in action this weekend due to Aberystwyth Town’s Welsh Cup commitments.