Home Flintshire Information Flintshire History

Buckley history

Buckley (Bwcle in Welsh) is the second largest town in Flintshire.

Buckley's name is derived from the Anglo-Saxon bok lee which means field or meadow. Some of its houses were recorded in the Domesday Book and it was next mentioned as the pasturage of the Manor of Ewloe in 1294.

Buckley gained prominence as a centre for pottery and coal mining from the seventeenth century onwards and by the eighteenth century it was famous for its pottery and earthenware products.  The geology of the area allowed surface mining of coal. The heavy clay soil was also suitable for brick manufacture and the town exported large quantities of bricks throughout Britain and overseas. The River Dee was important as a method of transport for these heavy goods while pottery was taken to Chester market by road.  The last pottery kiln closed in 1946, but Castle Cement Works at Padeswood is still in operation.

Buckley gained urban district status in its own right in 1898, having been split between Mold and Hawarden until this time.  Today it has a population of around 18,500 and has some light industry. It still commemorates the Buckley Jubilee on the second week in July.  This originated from the Buckley Temperance Society who first organised a ceremonial march, starting on the Common, over 200 years ago.