Home Sport Other Sports

Hockey: Northop Hall 2nds enjoy a stunning victory over Lytham St Annes

Northop Hall 2nds 4 Lytham St Annes 0

THE cold weather put paid to most of Northop Hall Hockey Club’s fixtures but the second team were able to host Lytham St Anne’s.

And the North West Hockey League Division Four clash between eighth-placed Hall and third-placed Lytham saw the Flintshire side run out convincing 4-0 winners.

From the start Hall seized control of the game, Rhys Price’s men showing great organisation and superb passing.

Wave after wave of attacks were launched by the home side in the opening five minutes before Price danced from the centre to the Lytham 25 yard line where he sent a route one pass into the D.

Lewys Taylor latched onto it and held the ball before lifting it up and past the keeper to open Hall’s account.

Lytham were determined not to be pushovers but their attempts at attack were soundly rebuffed by Hall’s defence, Barry Dunne particularly strong at the back alongside Ralph Nugent.

Hall advanced again with some great one-twos between the midfield and forwards, Steve Vale playing well on the left flank as fast passing and ball possession characterised the first half for Hall.

That passing provided the opportunity for goal number two when again Taylor received a good ball which he ran into the D, beating two defenders, before pushing the ball past the final defender and the keeper.

Price saw his chance and ran onto the ball to tap into the empty goal for an easy second.

Price featured again within 10 minutes as he found himself unmarked with the ball on the right.

He simply unleashed a cannon of a shot which found the board to put Hall 3-0 up before half time.

Lytham raised their game in the second half and Hall seemed to lose a little composure but their defence held firm and Lytham could not penetrate the D with any degree of force.

Despite their pressure they only managed two shots on goal , neither of which challenged keeper Jon Upton.

With about 10 minutes to go, Hall regain some of their earlier structure and Craig Williams took the ball out wide towards the right-hand baseline and passed across the goal to the waiting Price.

He miscued however and it was left to Vale to tap home Hall’s fourth.