Home News Local & Flintshire News

Flint Magistrates’ Court to close

COMMUNITY leaders in Flint have lost their fight to save the town’s magistrates court.

The closure of the courthouse was announced by Justice Minister Jonathan Djanogly on Tuesday following a court reform consultation which started in June.

A total of 93 magistrates courts and 49 county courts will close under the coalition Government’s cost-cutting plans.

Delyn MP David Hanson had been fighting against the proposed closure.

He said: “I am deeply disappointed with the Government’s decision to close Flint Magistrates’ Court.

“Only last year I received written assurances from the Labour Government that there were no plans to close the court.

“I always believed that there was a case for keeping Flint Magistrates Court open, and I have been making strong representations to the coalition Government in recent months.

“The Flint courthouse has been an important and historic working body in the town and the Government’s decision today will lead to inconveniences for those that need to attend proceedings and will have a detrimental impact on the provisions of justice in Flint and the surrounding area.”

Flint Castle councillor Ian Roberts, leader of Flint Town Council, thanked Mr Hanson for his support.

But he said: “It has been obvious from the start of the consultation that the Government has been desperate to close Flint Magistrates Court.

“The legal profession in North Wales will doubtless be very glad, because they have been trying to shut the court at Flint for many years.”

He added: “It is very disappointing and it’s a sad day for local justice.”

Share