Home Sport Local Football

Football: Mike Burke fires Buckley Town to victory from penalty spot

GARETH Thomas went back to basics as Buckley Town bounced back from their first defeat of the season last week to beat struggling Rhos Aelwyd 1-0.

Saturday’s Huws Gray Alliance match at Globe Way was not a classic, but the Bucks did what was required to keep them among the leading group in the table.

Rhos suffered an early blow when Steve Powell was dismissed in the first half.

Buckley’s new striker Tim Bigland was denied while Jamie Hulse repelled any Rhos attacks in the Town goal.

But it was in the 75th minute when the deadlock was decisively broken, Mike Burke firing home a penalty against his former club to take Buckley up to sixth.

They will have to do more if they want to catch GAP CONNAH’S QUAY, however.

Four goals from mercurial striker Gary O’Toole contributed to an 8-0 thrashing of Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant at the Deeside Stadium.

Jamie Petrie opened the scoring after just three minutes before turning provider for O’Toole’s first on 12 minutes.

Nomads added a third in the 34th minute as a Rob Jones free-kick was missed by O’Toole who allowed player-manager Mark McGregor to tap the ball home.

Jones made it 4-0 and before the break O’Toole converted a penalty he won himself after Powell had brought him down.

James McIntosh notched Quay’s sixth in the 58th minute when he skipped past two defenders before planting a strike firmly into the net and O’Toole secured his hat-trick in the 72nd minute, heading home from a Petrie cross before adding a fourth with an exquisite finish before the end.

A Paul Williams double helped FLINT TOWN UNITED to a 3-1 win over Llandudno.

It was their fifth win on the bounce and the Silkmen opened the scoring on 14 minutes, Phill Lloyd playing a one-two with Simon Thelwell before curling home a right-foot beauty.

After 32 minutes Tom McGill threaded a pass through to early substitute Williams, who saw his shot deflected past the keeper to double Flint’s lead.

Late into first half stoppage time the hosts’ Johnny Hill headed Lee Jones’ free-kick into his own net to give Llandudno hope.

However, Flint sealed the points when great work between McGill and Lloyd enabled Williams to net from eight yards on 81 minutes.